APJCC Preschool – Developmental Philosophy
The APJCC Preschool is a Developmental Program with a play-based curriculum. We believe that play is the work of children. Through play, children explore the world and form connections and relationships between people and objects in their environment. These connections and relationships are the basis of more formal education and learning in the future.
We are dedicated to providing an engaging and stimulating hands-on experience for the children of the APJCC Preschool. In all activities, we emphasize the process of discovery.
Developmental Philosophy involves a three-way partnership between staff, parents and children. It is based on the following assumptions:
- is knowledgeable about child development and child learning
- gets to know each individual child, understand his/her needs, strengths and interests and is skilled in incorporating that knowledge into the classroom program
- understands and is sensitive to the cultural and social contexts of the children in the class
- maintains an emotionally and physically safe environment
- works as a team with colleagues, parents and administrators as well as consultants that may be called for specific situations
- plans and maintains an enriching, stimulating curriculum and environment
- understands the value of childhood as an important stage in life unto itself and not just as preparation for the next stage
- are welcome to visit the classroom–as well as grandparents, siblings and other visiting relatives
- are encouraged to share skills and interests with the children
- are encouraged to share family traditions with the teacher and the class
- work as a team with teachers and administrators by sharing information and concerns about their child(ren)
- are treated with respect and dignity at all times by staff and administration
- are nurtured in warm, caring relationships with staff
- are provided with a maximum of free choice experience in the classroom and outdoors
- are appreciated as individuals
Developmental philosophy and practice supports the growth and learning of children in a safe and nurturing environment. We are committed to providing a developmentally appropriate program for the children of the APJCC Preschool.